The CE-63T is a three phase charging system designed to fit all 2001-2006 Softails as a direct replacement for stock.
These are generalized instructions and are not intended to be all-inclusive. For more detail see a service manual on your model.
1) Disconnect negative battery terminal.
2) Drain primary case oil.
3) Remove outer primary cover.
4) Consult appropriate service manual and remove compensator sprocket.
Note: After several thousand miles it may be possible to remove the compensator sprocket and chain adjustor shoe without removing the clutch. Caution: Do not put excessive side force on chain.
5) Remove output shaft extension. Take note of all shims and spaces between output shaft extension and rotor.
6) Remove rotor.
7) Unplug regulator from stator and remove plastic plug receptacle from stator side. Use a small needle nose pliers to remove the orange lock clip from inside the plug. Then use a same small screwdriver to release the locking tab and remove each wire from the plug receptacle one at a time.
8) Remove 4 stator-mounting screws. Remove 2 stator plug clamp screws. Remove stators.
1) Install the stator wire through the hole in the case. Pull gently on the wires to seat the case sealing grommet. On twin cam models the first lip on the grommet well come all the way through and seat on the out side of the case.
2) Mount the stator to the engine case with the new mounting screws (supplied). The screws have thread-locking compound already applied. Torque screws to 30-40 in-lbs.
3) Install the stator wires into the plug housing. Insert the wires in holes #1 #2 and #3. It dose not matter which wire goes in which hole. Push in until the terminal snaps in. after all three wires are fully inserted install the orange locking clip.
4) Install the rotor slowly. Take care not to let the magnets hit the stator. Do not let the rotor snap in to place or magnet damage may occur.
Note: no shims are used under the rotor on Twin Cam models.
5) Reinstall any shims and spacers removed in step 6 of Alternator Removal.
6) Install compensator sprocket with chain adjuster
Shoe, and clutch if removed.
7) Adjust primary chain.
8) Check primary chain alignment. Adjust if necessary
Note: This kit is designed as a direct replace for the stock charging system on 1999 –2003. no primary chain alignment should be necessary
9) Install outer primary and other parts removed.
Note: Don’t forget to add oil on wet clutch models.
-Remove Old Regulator
1) Disconnect battery negative terminal.
2) Disconnect regulator DC wires. One connects to the silver post on the main breaker. The other connects to a grounding stud.
Note: if you tie a piece of fishing line to the ring terminal of old regulator wire before pulling wire out. You can use this cord to pull the new wire in place.
3) Take note of how old wire is routed. Cut wire ties and remove wire.
4) Unbolt two ¼-20 Allen screws and remove regulator.
Install New Regulator
1) Mount new regulator. Reuse Allen screws.
2) Route and connect wire with the yellow label marked (silver post of main breaker) to the silver post on the main circuit breaker.
3) Rout and connect wire labeled GND to the grounding stud.
4) Connect AC plug to stator.
5) Check the routing of all wires to be sure they are not in a vulnerable position. Keep wires away from exhaust pipes and moving parts. Be sure wires are not in the very bottom of lower frame or they will get pinched if you bottom out.
Replace all wire ties previously cut and add new ones where necessary.
6) Reconnect battery and start motor. Test battery voltage. Voltage should run 14.2 to 14.6 depending on what model you have.
Have A Good Ride!!